Cover image: Aiden Aslin and Sean Pinner (left and right), British citizens behind bars during a trial in Donetsk, sentenced to death by separatist authorities. The same condemnation for the Moroccan Saaudun Brahim. June 9, 2022. PA
Real-time tracking contributions are activated from 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM Paris time.
- Volodymyr Zelensky and Emmanuel Macron spoke. The Ukrainian president said that he had discussed French military assistance to Ukraine on Thursday, June 9, including “heavy weapon” clarified Emmanuel Macron, as well as Kyiv’s candidacy for accession to the European Union.
- Ukrainian soldiers fight in Severodonetsk one of the “hardest battles” since the beginning of the war to resist Russian forces, which now control much of this strategic city in the East, where, according to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, plays “fate” Donbass region.
- The neighboring city of Lysychansk is completely controlled by the Ukrainian army. but suffered from the bombing “Powerful and chaotic”said the governor of Luhansk region Sergei Gaidai, who accuses Russian troops of targeting “deliberately” hospitals and humanitarian aid distribution centers.
- Kyiv misses every day “Up to 100 soldiers” killed and “500 wounded” in hostilities with the Russian army, Ukrainian Defense Minister Oleksiy Reznikov said on Thursday, June 9.
- In Mariupol, the deputy mayor claims that dozens of corpses are regularly found in the buildings of the southern Ukrainian port city, which came under Russian control. Petro Andryushchenko told Telegram that the bodies had been taken to the village of “Infinite Caravan of Death” to the morgue, landfills and other places.
- In an interview with U.S. business leaders on Wednesday, Volodymyr Zelenskyy said that Moscow’s participation in the talks “Now it is simply impossible, because Russia is still feeling its strength”. “We must weaken Russia, and the world must do so,” he shouted.
- The President of the African Union calls for the rapid demining of the port of Odessa. Senegalese President Maki Sall, the current head of the African Union, called on Thursday (June 9th) to demine the Ukrainian port of Odesa to allow grain exports, and said he had received assurances from President Vladimir Putin that Russia would not attack. Without the resumption of exports to Africa, “will find itself in a very serious situation of famine, which could destabilize the continent”he said in an interview with French media France 24 and RFI.
“If fertilizers do not come during the winter (rainy season) in most African countries, it means that there will be no harvest.”, he said. Mr Sall, received by Mr Putin last week, has left “calmed down” these interviews, he said, will remain “optimistic” despite the lack of progress since then in freight transport.
- Sanctions against Moscow destroy 15 years of Russia’s economic progress and three decades of integration with the West, according to a report by the Institute of International Finance (IFF) released on Wednesday. The IIF forecasts a 15% contraction in the Russian economy this year and another 3% in 2023.
- More than a hundred days after the Russian offensive, The consequences of the war continue to worsen in the worldUN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, who affects 1.6 billion people, warned on Wednesday. Russia’s blockade of Ukrainian ports by the Russian Black Sea Fleet paralyzes grain exports, including wheat. The first to suffer were countries in Africa and the Middle East, which fear serious food crises.
- The war caused about 6.5 million Ukrainians to flee their country and caused thousands of deaths: at least 4,200 civiliansaccording to the latest United Nations (UN) report, which estimates real figures “much higher”and thousands of soldiers, even if the warring parties rarely report their losses.
Find our broadcast yesterday.
Read all our articles, analyzes and reports on the war in Ukraine
Maintenance. Timothy Snyder: “Yesterday, as today, Europe’s security is at stake in Ukraine”
Decipherments. Threatening to get stuck on the ground, Kyiv and Moscow are adapting their strategy
Chronic. “There is no question for the United States of allowing Putin to divert them from their main strategic goal: deterring China.”
Decipherments. Ukraine, Russia, Putin and defense policy: Angela Merkel does not regret it
Investigation. How the Central African Republic became a laboratory of Russian propaganda in Africa