For Quebec investors, there are several ways to invest in the S&P 500 index.
The S&P 500 is a stock market index that tracks the performance of the 500 largest US public companies.
Thus, you cannot invest directly in the S&P 500, but you can buy shares in its member companies or buy an index fund, such as a mutual fund or exchange-traded fund, that tracks the overall performance of the index. S & P500.
Read: FIRE traffic is everything you need to know
What is the S&P 500 index?
The S&P 500 or Standard & Poor’s 500 is a stock market index made up of the 500 largest companies in the United States.
In fact, the index contains just over 500 companies, and it’s not necessarily the largest 500. In fact, companies must meet strict requirements to be included in the index.
Because of the variety of companies that make it up, the S&P 500 is often considered a barometer of the US economy. Many US portfolios compare themselves to the S&P 500, trying to outperform the index.
In the S&P 500 index you will find many of the world’s largest companies, such as Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, Alphabet (Google), Tesla, Berkshire Hathaway, Nvidia, Johnson & Johnson, Meta Platforms, Visa and more. .
The most famous ETF S&P 500 is SPY (SPDR S&P 500 ETF Trust). However, this fund is traded in US dollars, so you will need to convert before buying.
Advantages of investing in the S&P 500 index fund
The advantage of combining several companies in one index is that it is very easy to invest in all these companies at once. If you wanted to invest in the S&P 500, you could, of course, buy shares in each of the companies in it. That means 500 separate transactions.
500 individual transactions.
This means a lot of clicks or phone calls – and it can mean talking to your very confusing stockbroker or financial advisor, who then informs you of a much easier way to invest in S&P. 500: simply by investing in the S&P 500 index fund. For one transaction you can invest in all 500 companies at once.
Read: Bitbuy vs. Binance – A Guide
How to invest in the S&P 500
- Choose between ETFs and mutual fund. You can invest in index funds through ETFs or mutual funds. ETFs do not have a minimum retention period, a minimum purchase amount and lower MER fees.
- Open a trading account. To invest in the S&P 500, you need to open a trading account with a broker or platform. Be sure to review the commission for buying and selling mutual funds or ETFs based on how you plan to invest in the S&P 500.
- Deposit funds. You will need to deposit funds into your account to start trading. Some brokers may charge you a deposit fee, or you may have to pay an exchange fee for your Canadian dollars to be converted into US dollars.
- Find an S&P 500 index fund that you can invest in. Some index funds track the performance of all S&P 500 stocks, while others track only a certain number of stocks or focus more on small annual stocks to invest in the index fund.
- Buy ETFs or mutual fund. After depositing money, you can purchase the S&P 500 index fund. You will usually have to pay a commission.
Read: Binary options in Quebec – legal or not?
Which Canadian ETF S&P 500 is best to buy?
With that in mind, let’s move on to some of the best S&P 500 ETFs Canada todayI
- Vanguard S&P 500 Index ETF (VFV)
- BMO S&P 500 Index ETF (ZSP)
- Vanguard S&P 500, hedged to CAD ETF (VSP)
- Horizons S&P 500 ETF Index (HXS & HXS.U)
- iShares Core S&P 500 Index ETF (XUS)
WARNING! Before investing, conduct research and consult a professional. This is not investment advice. LesFinances.ca is not a financial advisor.
Is it a good time to invest in the S&P 500?
Is it a good time to invest in the S&P 500?
Since its inception, the S&P 500 has published an average annual compound return of around 8% – 9%. Since 2009, the index has been profitable every year until 2021, except for 2018.
However, due to inflation, rising interest rates and economic instability that worry investors, the S&P 500 on Monday, May 9, for the first time since the end of March 2021 fell below 4,000.
Remember that the S&P 500 tracks companies with large capitalization in the United States, so if the overall US (and global) economy falls, then the indices that track the market will fall.
Read: Is it a good time to buy gold?
The S&P 500 ETF is a great option for investors who are just starting out in the markets, as they give them access to the largest public companies in the index without undue influence on one sector. They are also very useful for experienced investors who can use ETFs as hedging their F&O positions.
The S&P 500 is one of the world’s leading indices and gives you access to multibillion-dollar giants such as Apple, Coca-Cola and Microsoft, diversifying your investments and significantly reducing risks.
Do you invest in ETFs that copy the S&P 500 index? Share your answer in the comments below.