He has accompanied the rapid growth of his country over the past two decades. The President of the Emirates and the ruler of Abu Dhabi, Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, died on May 13, authorities said.
We are deeply saddened to learn of the death today of His Excellency Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, President of the United Arab Emirates.
May his memory be blessed.
– Embassy of the United Arab Emirates in Paris (@UAEEmbassyParis) May 13, 2022
What is the United Arab Emirates?
- Founded by Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, the father of Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the country celebrated its fiftieth anniversary in 2021.
- It consists of seven emirates: Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Ajman, Charja, Fujairah, Ras al-Khaimah and Umm al-Qaywain.
- Under the mandate of Sheikh Caliph, the Emirates has experienced rapid economic growth caused by Abu Dhabi’s oil wealth, where 90% of the federation’s reserves are concentrated.
- The establishment of Dubai as a financial center, a luxury tourist destination or even a crossroads for air transport has contributed to this growth.
Official mourning has been declared in the country
Following the announcement of the president’s death, the Gulf government decides “official mourning“And the flags are lowered for 40 days, according to the official news agency WAM. It adds that the next three days will be non-working. even hotels.
إنا لله وإنا إليه راجعون .. فقدت الإمارات ابنها البار وقائد “مرحلة التمكين” وأمين رحلتها المباركة.. مواقفه وإنجازاته وحكمته وعطاؤه ومبادراته في كل زاوية من زوايا الوطن.. خليفة بن زايد، أخي وعضيدي ومعلمي ، رحمك الله بواسع رحمته وأدخلك في رضوانه وجنانه .
– محمد بن زايد (@MohamedBinZayed) May 13, 2022
Sheikh Khalifa has rarely appeared in public in recent years. In 2014, he underwent surgery after a stroke. Since then, Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed nicknamed “MBZ“The Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi is considered the de facto ruler of the Emirates, and he runs the country’s affairs. The latter pays tribute to the late ruler on his Twitter account.”His position, his successes, his wisdom, his generosity and his initiatives can be found in every corner of the country.“, he writes.
The basis of economic development of the country
Born from the marriage of Sheikh Zayed to his cousin Hossa bin Mohammad bin Khalifa Al Nahyan in Al Ain in January 1948, Sheikh Khalifa has been in power since 2004. But he already played important roles. After his father took over as ruler of Abu Dhabi, before the birth of the Emirates Federation, he was appointed representative of the ruler and president of the courts of the Eastern region. On February 1, 1969, at the age of 21, he became Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and then, the following day, President of the Emirate’s Ministry of Defense on the occasion of the creation of the Abu Dhabi Defense Forces, which will be the core of the future federal army.
Tower in honor of the leader
- In 2009, the United Arab Emirates was hit hard by the financial crisis.
- True to his father’s vision, Sheikh Khalifa extended a helping hand to Dubai during this period.
- In honor of the highest tower in the world, built in the center of Dubai, is called the Burj Khalifa.
After the federation was established on December 2, 1971, Sheikh Khalifa was appointed Deputy Prime Minister of the new state. He also chairs the High Petroleum Council, a body with broad powers in the energy sector. In an effort to maintain good relations with the tribes, like his father, he often accepts members. He is also behind the creation of a department of social services to improve the living standards of compatriots.